Beaufort Memorial’s chefs are changing the idea that hospital food has to be bland and boring. Together with staff at LifeFit Wellness Center, they’re showing how to make meals healthier and more enjoyable.
For many of you, skinless chicken breasts are your go-to protein for meals. And for good reason: chicken cooks quickly, it’s not messy, it doesn’t burn through your grocery budget, and it tastes good with almost anything. But if your chicken dinners are starting to lack luster and you’re craving something new, try this chicken recipe with Italian flair.
Serving size: ½ chicken breast with ½ cup topping
Total Time: Marinating time + 25 – 35 minutes
4 (5- to 8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette
1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
4 ounces fresh low-fat mozzarella pearls
½ cup prepared pesto
¼ teaspoon coarse salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Place chicken in a shallow bowl.
- Pour 1 cup of the balsamic vinaigrette over chicken; refrigerate 30 minutes or up to four hours.
- Remove chicken, then discard marinade.
- Sauté, bake or grill chicken.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine quartered tomatoes, mozzarella pearls, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette, salt and pepper.
- To serve, top each cooked chicken breast with 2 tablespoons of the prepared pesto and ½ cup of the tomato mixture. If desired, garnish with basil.
Nutrition per serving: 416 calories, 21g total fat (6g saturated fat, 0g trans fat), 780mg sodium, 6.5g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 3g sugars, 46g protein