Beaufort Memorial’s Executive Chef, Michael Ramey is challenging the notion that healthy food can’t also be delicious and easy to prepare. You probably know that protein is a key nutrient to fuel your active lifestyle and that it helps you maintain, repair and build your body’s cells. However, protein is also a necessary component of your diet because it produces the enzymes responsible for every reaction your body performs, from digesting food to keeping your metabolism in motion.
Chicken is a great protein choice because it contains all of the essential amino acids your body needs and does not make on its own. Chef Eric’s recipe for Chicken Florentine is a protein-packed go to for your next family meal.
Makes 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 chicken breast half with ¼ cup topping
Total Time: 35 to 45 minutes
2 ½ teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning,
4 (5- to 8-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons pine nuts
4 cups loosely chopped, loosely packed fresh spinach
1 cup light cream cheese
½ cup nonfat milk
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the lemon pepper seasoning over both sides of the chicken, pressing seasoning into chicken with your fingers.
- Sauté, bake or grill chicken.
- Meanwhile, place pine nuts in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Toast pine nuts, stirring often until browned and fragrant, about two minutes.
- Remove pine nuts from skillet and set aside.
- Add spinach to skillet over medium heat; saute until spinach begins to wilt. In a medium bowl, whisk together light cream cheese and low-fat milk until cream cheese is softened.
- Pour cream cheese mixture into skillet over spinach. Stir and heat until mixture is melted and creamy; stir in ½ teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning.
- To serve, top each cooked chicken breast with the spinach mixture.
- Sprinkle toasted pine nuts over top. If desired, serve with lemon wedges on the side.
Nutrition per serving: 389 calories, 16 g total fat (6 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 328 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 5 g sugars, 45 g protein